Autumn/ Winter - the seasons we bring out the woolly scarves, full length jackets and perfect our protective styles. We aim to keep warm on the outside but what about on the inside? We say ditch your 'go to meal' (yes we all have one) and try your hand at something new. - Tweet that Quote!. We challenge you to a low cost, hearty soup to combat the Autumn/ Winter nights.
- 2 pounds butternut squash
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can vegetable broth (Avoid the additives, make your own with Vegan Boullion. Buy the Red Tub, it doesn't have Hydrolised Vegetable Protein/ MSG in it!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 30-40 mins
- Makes: 5 Servings
Peel squash. Halve lengthwise. Remove seeds and discard. Cut squash into 3/4-inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan, combine squash, broth, water, and cayenne pepper. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Transfer one-fourth of the squash-and-broth mixture to a blender container. Carefully blend, covered, until smooth. Repeat until all of the mixture is blended.
- Return blended mixture to large saucepan. Bring just to boiling. Immediately reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the margarine or butter, stirring until just melted.
Mint or Parsley
Pitta Bread or Ryvita Cracker Bread
Over to you!
Have you tried this before or have a favourite hearty soup you love? Let us know in the comments below!